One Man, One Desire - Finally an Interview With That Movie Trailer Guy

Haven't you at one point said in that movie trailer voice "ONE LEGLESS DRUNKEN NIGHT, ONE WRONG TURN, ONE BROKEN VASE, ONE MAN MUST SAVE HIMSELF OR FACE HIS MOTHER" and then your brother pipes up "damb bruv, you sound just like the guy" and you acknowledge "Thanks Matty - I've been practising during my Head and Shoulder sessions know-what-I-mean, know-what-I-mean, nudge nudge - cheesecake?" and he ends it all with "thanks I'll have some - I'm still telling Mom!". Yeah the good ol' days.
Yes That Movie Trailer Voice has been used by yourself or someone you know at some point in your tired existence. You have always wanted to know who the guy is? Is it the same guy in every movie? Well have the answers for you after the break.
...break, a word from the folks that pay those meddling bills...
We're back. In a world where Hollywood is big business, and everything hinges on the box office gross a film can generate in its first week, only one man has the reverberating tones to convince an audience your film is worth seeing. That man is Don LaFontaine — and for the past forty years, there's been nowhere to run, and nowhere to hide, from his enduring imprint on movie trailers.
Yes That Movie Trailer Voice has been used by yourself or someone you know at some point in your tired existence. You have always wanted to know who the guy is? Is it the same guy in every movie? Well have the answers for you after the break.
...break, a word from the folks that pay those meddling bills...
We're back. In a world where Hollywood is big business, and everything hinges on the box office gross a film can generate in its first week, only one man has the reverberating tones to convince an audience your film is worth seeing. That man is Don LaFontaine — and for the past forty years, there's been nowhere to run, and nowhere to hide, from his enduring imprint on movie trailers.
Q: Thanks for taking the time to chat with us, Don. I guess I'd like to start with the question I'm sure is on everyone's mind: What would you do if you were TRAPPED IN A WORLD BEFORE TIME, WHERE EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT WAS TRUE IS A LIE, AND THE ONLY PERSON YOU CAN TRUST IS YOURSELF?
A: [laughs] ...Try and survive, knowing only one man can save me...
Q: Is "The Voice" something that you have to adjust your voice to do, or is that deep rolling bass actually close to your natural speaking voice?
A: "The Voice" — or "Voices" — is actually very close to my speaking voice. Only not. It's hard to explain. It's my voice, only bigger. I don't mean louder, although that certainly is the case sometimes. I emphasize certain elements of my voice — adding an edge or a cushion of air, and then slightly over-emote. It's not enough to sound like over-acting in the context of a trailer, TV or radio spot.
Q: Probably not as effective in real life though.
A: Yes, if I used that voice in normal conversation, people would look at me and wonder who the pompous ass was.
Q: I imagine it must be tempting, though. Ever hid behind something and tried to convince someone you were God?
A: I have, in fact, hidden behind a curtain and been the voice of God in my church. I'm hoping God isn't offended. If she is, I'll stop.
Read the full interview with a couple of sound bites as well - tastier than kaaskook.


Boobs of the Week
NSFW





<< Home